ISO 14001: 2015
ISO 14001 is an international standard that sets out the general requirements for setting up an Environmental Management System in businesses. The aim is to develop and implement directions and goals concerning the management of its environmental issues, to manage them and ultimately minimize the negative impact of them on the environment. Such directions are considered to be: the compliance with the Legislation, environmental protection as well as the continuous improvement in environmental issues.
The ISO 14001: 2015 standard is addressed to:
As the environment is affected by all kinds of activities and the standard is recognized internationally, it is addressed to all companies or organizations (private or public) regardless of the sector in which they operate, aiming to establish, implement, maintain, and improve an environmental management system, beyond the legal requirements, as it is optional and not required by Legislation.
Advantages of applying the standard:
- Compliance with the Legislation, resulting in better profits due to the fine reduction and the better communication with public organizations
- Continuous improvement of the company, as it follows the new trends in environmental protection
- Contribution to the environmental protection by applying environmentally sustainable management programs
- Reduction of the costs by adopting environmental awareness and the avoidance of unnecessary waste of natural resources (increase of recycling and energy saving)
- Increase of interest from international organizations that have great environmental awareness
- Improvement of the company’s image to both employees and the public by achieving the goals that were set
- Comparative advantage over competitors
- The standard is a strategic organization tool